Even though we’re adults, sometimes we have to explain ourselves to other people. Of course, if we agreed to do something, and we didn’t do as agreed, we owe our boss an explanation. That’s just our job. Oftentimes we give excuses and explain our reasons to the police as to why we were driving too fast or to our parents about how we still don’t like to eat liver.
However, there are things for which we don’t owe anyone an explanation for and no one should pressure us to give an explanation. Why? Because certain beliefs and customs are ours and no one should interfere with them or put us in a situation where we should have to apologize or be grateful for them.
1. You don’t owe anyone justification for your priorities in life.
Whether it’s at work, to your family and children, you don’t need to explain them to anyone.
2. You don’t owe anyone the reason why you refused.
You might have other plans, or you just don’t want to do something. But if you agree, no one asks what motivated you to say yes.
3. You don’t owe anyone an explanation for why you love someone.
Friends keep asking why you’ve fallen in love with a boy of few words. This is your and his business, nobody else’s.
4. You don’t owe anyone an explanation for why you disagree.
Unfortunately, not all people can be each other’s friends. You don’t have to explain why you don’t like someone.
5. You don’t owe anyone the meaning of what you believe in.
Your faith and its motives are your personal business.
6. You don’t owe anyone the reason for a change in your appearance.
Did you gain a few pounds or change your hair color? It’s your body and you’re responsible for it, so you don’t have to explain that the unexpected weight is a result of being sick.
7. You don’t owe anyone an explanation as to why you don’t keep in touch.
Sometimes, breaking away from toxic people isn’t easy, so you have to stop talking with them without notice. You don’t have to explain why.
8. You don’t owe anyone an explanation for rumors that someone spread about you.
There are people who only live the lives of others. The best solution to this problem is to ignore it with silence.
9. You don’t owe anyone an answer that isn’t the truth.
You have your own beliefs and so be it. People love conspiracies and arguing about them. You don’t have to take part in such conversations.
10. You don’t owe anyone anything that goes against your gut instinct.
Intuition is a powerful tool. You don’t owe an explanation when you think that something is right, just because you have a hunch.