World War II has left an irreversible mark on Europe. The Old Continent will always live in the shadow of its bloody history, which claimed the lives of millions and deprived millions of their homes, immediate family and hope in other people.
The Nazis not only led typical warfare operations, but also barbarously undertook the extermination of the entire Jewish nation and other nations that were considered unclean. To accomplish their set goals, the German army began building concentration camps on Polish territory, where people were mass-murdered. The scale of their operations was huge, that’s why today we’re still coming across so far undiscovered traces of Nazi atrocities, though the SS tried to hide evidence of their criminal actions.
In Poland, the Germans established several concentration camps, among many others located: on the land of the Lubelskie Region near the Chełm-Włodawa railway, near the village of Sobibor. The camp operated from the spring of 1942 and historians estimate that approximately 250,000 Jews were killed there. In October 1943, an armed uprising broke out in the camp, and as a result the camp was closed. The Germans tried to hide what was going on there, but you can’t completely get rid of all the information, since archaeological excavations conducted in recent years have brought very interesting discoveries.
The cruelty of that time is inconceivable.
Underground in the Sobibor camp, gas chambers, which for years had been covered by asphalt, were discovered. One of the archaeologists, Yoram Haimi, said that the building with the gas chambers was surprisingly large, which may indicate that there were more victims of the Nazi regime than previously estimated. During the shutdown of the camp, the building was destroyed by German soldiers, but the fragments that remained are in good condition and speak a lot about the activities carried out in the camp.
To hide the purpose and what had been done at the camp, the Nazis converted the area into a forest after shutting the camp down.
More information about the camp and the crematory discovered on its premises can be found on the next page.