- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup milk (see note above)
- 3 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste, if needed
In a medium pot or skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, taking care not to let the garlic burn. Add the cream cheese, stirring with a whisk until the mixture is smooth. It will look curdled at first, but with constant whisking for 2-3 minutes, it should come together to form a smooth, creamy paste. Add the milk gradually, about 1/4 cup at a time, whisking quickly and constantly until each addition is incorporated fully into the sauce. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, pepper and salt. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is the desired consistency. Cook for 2-3 minutes for a thicker sauce or remove right after the cheese is melted for a thinner sauce. Serve immediately over hot, cooked noodles.