Just about everyone loves fried cheese sticks. My version of this favorite appetizer gets a punch of heat from red chili flakes.
- 25 oz cheese of choice (I used plain cheese),
- 1 cup plain flour,
- 1 tsp red chili flakes,
- 1 tsp dried parsley,
- 1 tsp garlic powder,
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs,
- vegetable oil,
- Cut cheese crosswise into 3/4-inch slices. Lay slices flat and cut in half lengthwise.
- Combine flour and red pepper; stir well. Combine bread crumbs and parsley in another bowl; stir well.
- Dip cheese sticks in beaten eggs. Dredge in flour mixture. Dip coated cheese in egg again; dredge in bread crumb mixture, pressing firmly so that crumbs adhere.
- Place cheese sticks on a wax paper-lined baking sheet and freeze at least 30 minutes.
- Fry cheese sticks in 375-degree deep oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with marinara sauce, if desired.