This cute teen nearly died because of… tampons! Be sure to read about what happened to her

On a daily basis, the human body is exposed to possible damage, injury or the attack of various diseases. Usually we try to defend ourselves against threats, but not everything can be predicted and noticed before it’s too late.

Rylie Whitten was an ordinary teenager who looked into the future with optimism. The girl’s life was quite peaceful until January of this year, when she started feeling very bad. She had typical flu symptoms: fever, sore throat and muscle aches. Unfortunately, visiting and starting a treatment plan with her family doctor didn’t yield positive results, and after just two days, the 15-year-old was taken to the hospital.

TTS-pas


After running a few tests, the doctors found that Rylie doesn’t have the flu or meningitis, but is suffering from abnormal kidney function, and her body is fighting a serious infection. The girl was quickly escorted to a specialized hospital where she was diagnosed with toxic shock syndrome (TSS). The girl’s parents were surprised at how their daughter could have contracted a disease this serious.

Why did this teenager suddenly got sick?
TTS-5


Toxic shock syndrome is connected with using tampons which have a high absorption capacity. It’s caused by an infection of the Staphylococcus aureus bacteria, which live on the skin and in the vagina. The use of highly absorbent tampons supports the growth of the bacteria, which consequently increases the amount of toxin released into the body, and this leads to TTS. Toxic shock syndrome, resulting from the use of tampons is rare, occurring about 1-3 times per 100,000 women.

Rylie was unlucky to be in a very small group of women who had been diagnosed with TTS.

Read more about TTS and Rylie’s fate on page two.

TTS-2


Reply